Wednesday 10 April 2013

Farewell Letter to The Man in The Road


After I have read the passage "Catcher in the Rye dropped from US school curriculum ", I know that literature will disappear in the United States starting from 2014. Students will not read literature in English classes. I feel it will be a pity for them not to meet one of my favorite character. Therefore, I have decided to write this farewell letter to The Man from The Road.

Here is my farewell letter:

17th December 2012

Dear The man in The Road,

You are one of the most special characters, who I met during my study in Canada. You changed my point of view to the world I never imagine before meeting you. However, a bad news about you has been introduced to me recently during English class. Literature will be replaced by “informational texts” approved by the US governments in general English course. It will be affecting over 80% of the States starting from the school year of 2014. Future high school students will never have this chance to meet you through the great literature, The Road.

During your journey on the road in the post apocalyptic world, you tried your very best to save your son even until your last breath of life. In this dreadful world, a little boy must be so frightened. Not only comforting him, you taught him surviving techniques and the rules the world is using.  The parent - child relationship you reminded me once again how my father protected me when I was small.  I also reflected on my relationship with my dad. I found that I did not do enough to thank my dad for taking care of me for 17 years.

Moreover, you always brought your fire with you on the road no matter what. The fire represents never giving up on our lives. Nowadays, teenagers easily give up on their lives due to some personal reasons. They could not bear the pressure and set themselves free from committing suicide. The will you strived to live even in the post apocalyptic world has once again reminded me how precious life could be. We only have one life, then why do we throw it away?

Furthermore, people in the post apocalyptic world ate one another to survive. The morals had totally been unforgotten. Then, I also asked myself what would I do if I were in your world. I once again explored the word “moral”. I only wanted to live as a human; at least, I could not eat one another just to help myself to survive.

Thank you for the values, reflections you have introduced to me during my exploration to this book, The Road. It will be a pity that the future high school students do not have this opportunity to meet such a great father and character. 


Take care, and thanks for everything.
Goodbye.
Best Regards,

Colleen 

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you related the character's story to your personal life and real events that have occurred. It made your letter seem more sincere and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete