Tuesday 16 April 2013

English Studies career and the Value of Exposure

As a lucky kid on this planet, I have been receiving English education from the age of 3, that is from kindergarten. English Studies have been a very important part in my education.

Here is a quick snapshot of novels, plays, prose, characters, settings, poetry I have been introduced in English Classes :

Ella Enchanted       
Death of Salesman
Macbeth
The reader
Olive’s Ocean
Charlotte’s Web
The Road






Reflections to this exposure:

Macbeth


I was being introduced to this Shakespeare’s old English text in Grade 11. 
After promoting to Grade 12, I have also learnt about the background history of this book. Shakespeare wrote this book to please the new King James because of his Scottish history. 

His famous book Macbeth talks about how the darkness mind of one that can be shown under the weakness external. It also shows the selfishness in one's mind. It also introduced me to the morals and values of human. I felt that this book has very rich information to be explored and discussed on. 

The old text is also a part to be learnt from. It is totally different form the modern English we normally learnt now. It has brought me to a higher level of novel, I have read and experienced on more mature themes that I could never touched before. 

Olive’s Ocean

I read this book when I was in lower school. The story was about a simple girl going off to enjoy her summer to pay a visit to her grandmother. However, the themes and meaning inside is very worthwhile.

I learnt another way of expressing my feelings through a simple story; the simple romantic story has turned out into something I never expect.

I have learnt the wordings, and also the way of description. It helps me a lot when I was still very young. The description is very detail in wordings and I can easily imagine the picture words into a full and round shot. The themes are also very consequential. They lead us into a reflection on our attitude to our parents. It also reminded us to cherish times with family because as time past, we can never chase them back. 

Value of exposures


Through out the books that I have been introduced by during my English course, I have been reminded for different personal and lifelong values that we should always keep.


Content of a book will always bring us to some questions and themes that we will always try to ask ourselves. This helps us to reflect on ourselves. The characters might have done something that we may not agree. Then we can try to ask ourselves, did we do the same thing? We can see things that were done on the characters and evaluate at the same time.


Characters of the book will also represent a kind of person. They may represent jealousy, greedy or other traits of the society. We will then see how they will do and cooperate with the world in the book, and thus make reflections in our real world.

Literature in the book will teach us how to polish the words to make it a piece of nice and pretty work that people can enjoy from the choose of wordings and descriptions.

English is a course that we learnt how to communicate with people and how we think. English, the language that most people speak in the world, has convenience us to communicate with people who never know each other before. English text also brings up a lot of themes that people may forget in their daily life. It is also an easy language to deliver whatever we want to express to people.       


No comments:

Post a Comment