Thursday 18 April 2013

Blogs → Blogs → Blogs

After posting my personal thoughts about English Curriculum and Education, I visited other classmates' blogs on further more exploring. Therefore, here are some really good blogs that are written by my classmates. They are really thoughtful and reflective:

Value of English (link) - Ridley English Blog
I have also felt stressful like what this author has experienced as well. I have been a loser or a failure in the past few high school years when I was still in Hong Kong. I have always been worrying whether I have to repeat a year or will be kicked out of the school due to poor academic. However, after studying abroad to Canada, I have grown up so much. No one is helping you with your own stuff. It is so much different compare to Home, where you have your parents, or housemaids to help you. If you fail the exam, you really failed it. No one will say "doesn't matter!". I really feel that grade 12 has been a very important year. I am always stressed about exams and tests. Any events happened this final year will definitely change my life. No matter, it is great moment or being academic grounded, they sure change my final year or even my later parts of life. I have totally adapted to this new environment and had a new personal views and believes. I felt that I have grown up so much. Education really happens not just in classroom but in daily lives or a certain period of time. This is a good example of it.

I here wish all the grade 12 students in the world a great final year.
We have less than 2 months to go. Every thing will fly through fast like wind.
Let's all enjoy it and leave great memories with your friends!

Learning English without Imagination? (link) - ENG 4U Drey :D
When I first had English in lower school, I hate it. I honestly hate English. We are doing vocabularies quiz,  grammar quiz,  comprehensions and compositions everyday. Well, yes. Practice makes perfect. My grammar and vocabularies have slowly built up into correct shape. However, I found no fun at all. It is like a robot or a training class. We are a bucket ,and we are going to be filled with vocabularies and grammar. After promoting into high school, reading literatures has been one the greatest thing in English class. In this blog, the author has emphasized on how learning english will be without novels or  imagination. I believe this happens to a lot of us. While reading books, scenes and people appear in our mind like real person. This is our imagination. By the detail description, everyone has their own look of the characters. These characters live in our mind while reading the novels along. This has been so much more fun than doing grammar quizes. The characters are lively in our mind and we also figure out meanings and personal views from novels. It also broaden our horizons to other aspects of knowledge.
Then, why do we take them away from the curriculum. Books have been affecting human for decades. After the internet has been introduced to human, it seems that less people have been reading books. Books are really meaningful or even Powerful. I hope people can all read more books and explore the fun in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment